AEGIS® Bearing Protection - Why Shaft Grounding?
Shaft Voltage Testing
Taking the Measurements - EMI
Ground Reference Reading: EMI
- The reading displays ground noise or EMI being produced by the motor/drive system. This electrical noise may be present before and after installing the AEGIS® ring.
- Find 2 ground points on the motor. Must be bare metal and conductive.
- Place the SVP on one of the points and the probe grounding clip on the other point.
- Measurements will vary depending on the motor size and conditions.
Taking the Measurements - Shaft Voltage
Shaft Voltage Reading
- Shaft must be clean & free of any coatings, paint or other nonconductive material.
- Secure the probe in place with magnetic base.
- Align AEGIS® SVP on shaft end or side ensuring continuous contact. Avoid keyway if possible.
- Place oscilloscope grounding lead on bare metal of motor ensuring conductive path to ground.
- If this test is to be used in a report, save an image to a USB drive.
Follow all safety precaution when working with rotating equipment.